Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Problem with Direct Sales

There are two big problems with direct sales, especially as person-to-person sales. The first problem is that you have to have something to sell. In most cases, that either means having inventory of items for sale or sales brochures from the supplier. The other problem with sales is that the income from sales is totally dependent upon whether the customer will part with money.

I'm not saying that I will never do any direct selling, but as far as I know at this point the only selling I will do is of my ebook when it is finished. I will probably sell it through the Kindle store at Amazon.com. This brings up another potential problem with direct sales.

In most cases, the person must be actively selling the product in order to make money from sales. Using Amazon Kindle is a bit different because I can submit my ebook for sale and allow Amazon to sell it for me. Of course, I will do what I can to promote my ebook, but sales may occur while I am sleeping or going about my daily routine.

So, if I am not going to sell anything, how am I going to make money without selling anything? Websites. It's easy. It's cheap. And, I can work on my websites as I have time.

How do people make money from websites without selling anything? Sounds like a good topic for my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment